Cyril O. Houle Award
For Outstanding Literature in Adult Education
The Cyril O. Houle Award was established in 1981 to honor the scholarship and memory of Cyril O. Houle, Professor of Adult Education at the University of Chicago. It is given annually by the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) for a book published in English in the previous year that reflects universal concerns of adult educators. Nominated works should exemplify outstanding literature in adult education. Click here to view the list of award recipients.
- Published in the previous year of when the award is given (e.g., published in 2010 for the 2011 award).
- Single or jointly authored books are eligible. Compiled or edited books are not eligible.
- Nominee must be able to accept the award personally at the AAACE Conference.
- A publication may not be nominated for both the Houle and Okes Awards.
- The winning nominee must be a member of AAACE (award includes one year membership if not a current member).
Criteria — books nominated must:
- Be written in English.
- Reflect the universal concerns of adult educators.
- Be relevant to adult educators in more than one country.
- Exemplify high standards of scholarship.
- Be well-organized and well-written.
- Contribute significantly to the advancement of adult education as a unified field of study and practice.
Nominations Cover Sheet:
- Award identification: Identify the nominations by typing at the top of the page: "AAACE National Awards Nomination: Houle Award for Outstanding Literature."
- Book information: Name of book, year published, publisher, publisher's address.
Author(s) information: Name, job title, organization, address, phone number, fax, and email address.
- Nominator information: Name, job title, organization, address, phone number, fax, and email address.
- Signature: Nominators must sign and date the cover letter.
- Nominations must include five (5) copies of nominated book.
- Send all information and books to the Chair, Houle Award Selection Committee at the address below, to arrive by June 30.
The AAACE Awards Committee works with the Commission of Professors of Adult Education (CPAE) to provide general oversight for the Houle Award process. The Houle Selection Committee consists of five CPAE/AAACE members. When possible, the most recent recipient(s) of the Houle Award are asked to act as Chair or Co-Chairs of the committee for the following year.
Mail Nominations to:
Chair, Houle Award Committee
10111 Martin Luther King, Jr. Highway
Bowie, MD 20720
Nominations must be received by June 30.