REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
Adult Learning EDITOR(S)
February 1, 2019
Statement of Purpose
Adult Learning is an international, peer-reviewed, practice-oriented journal. The journal publishes empirical research and conceptual papers that approach practice issues with a problem-solving emphasis. The audience includes practitioners and researchers who design, manage, teach, and evaluate programs for adult learners in a variety of settings.
The editor(s) should:
1. have a distinguished record of scholarly research and professional accomplishments in the field of adult and continuing education;
2. exhibit superior editorial ability, and have had prior editorial board experience, preferably with the Adult Learning and/or comparable peer journals in adult and continuing education or other similar editing experience;
3. demonstrate an understanding of and sensitivity to a range of modes of inquiry commonly used in the field as indicated in the Journal’s purpose statement;
4. reflect the broad-based philosophical orientation of AAACE, one that is inclusive of diverse settings and arenas of adult and continuing education practice; and
5. be a current member(s) of AAACE.
The editor(s) will be responsible for the editorial supervision and continuing intellectual development of a journal that provides scholarly leadership in the field of adult and continuing education. The journal provides a forum representing diversity of theory, research design, and research methodology and areas of practice.
The editor(s) will provide leadership in decisions related to scope and content of published articles, and in the supervision of manuscript receipt and editorial review. The editor(s) will establish, implement, and maintain a timely review process. The editor(s) will be expected to work with the commercial vendor (currently Sage Publications) to establish and implement a timely and effective system for editing, proofing, and production.
Editors will respond when appropriate to the annual report prepared by SAGE that is presented to the AAACE Publications Committee, Commission of Professors of Adult Education and the Board of Directors at the annual meeting of these three groups.
The AAACE Publications Committee will provide an advisory role with regard to major policy matters and editor selection and continuance in accordance with AAACE policy and the terms of the contract with the publisher. Any major policy changes, personnel selections, or fiscal matters require approval of the AAACE Board at the recommendation of the Executive Committee of AAACE and, if needed, a contract amendment.
Adult Learning is currently published through SAGE. The new editor(s) will work with the current editors to insure a smooth transition and the continuation of a good working relationship with the publishing firm. This transition process will include attention to and revision of (if appropriate) the panel of consulting editors.
The editor(s) will:
1. be appointed for a three-year and half year term, which may, upon the agreement of the editor(s), institution(s), AAACE Publications Committee and the AAACE Board of Directors, at the recommendation of the Executive Committee, be renewed for a two-year final term of service. Editors who wish to renew their term should inform the Publications Committee within eighteen months of the expiration of the original term. Renewal is not automatic but understood to be contingent upon satisfactory past performance as judged by the Publications Committee, Executive Committee, and the Board of Directors.
2. become familiar with the memorandum of understanding and carry out work in accordance with agreed on requirements;
3. arrange for manuscript solicitation and peer review; select and revise articles and obtain all other professional contributions for publication in the Journal. As necessary, the Editor(s) shall secure the assistance of consulting editors, advisory editors, and book review editors.
4. publish four issues per year in a timely, organized and appropriate manner that is consistent with the currently established publication cycle; This includes the delivery of the manuscript to the Publisher in accord with terms agreed to with the Publisher, and thereafter, it shall be the responsibility of the Publisher to ensure that the Journal is published in accord with the terms of their agreement with AAACE.
5. supervise the editorial process from manuscript receipt and review through final edited manuscript, which will then be turned over to a commercial vendor (currently, Sage) for production, publication, and dissemination in a timely schedule.
6. convene and chair a meeting of the consulting editors at the annual AAACE / CPAE Conference
7. participation in the session on “How to Write for for publication” at the annual AAACE/CPAE conference
8. select and appoint consulting editors to annual terms and review the panel of consulting editors on an annual basis.
Candidates for the position must submit:
1. vita(e) with precise background information on editorial and publishing experiences;
2. a statement regarding their projected goals and the methods to be employed to achieve them;
3. a plan and schedule for effecting the transition and selection of consulting editors members;
4. a letter of support from an immediate supervisor and an appropriate fiscal representative of the institution. This letter should state with clarity and commitment all specifics relative to institutional support such as release time, production assistance for the duration of the editorship and technological support.
5. in addition to the AAACE contribution, institutional support should enable the editor(s) to complete all requirements outlined in the memorandum of understanding successfully; and
6. a budget showing projected expenses for the three and a half year period, including personnel and equipment. Designations should be made reflecting available institutional contributions, direct or in-kind.
The Adult Learning editor(s) shall receive an annual stipend of $10,000 for each year within the initial three year term and a pro-rated amount for the final six months of the contract. If their appointment is renewed, the editor(s) shall receive the same stipend for each of the next two years.
This stipend is intended to enhance the publication of Adult Learning, in conjunction with institutional funding. It is expected that these funds will be used to help defray the costs of travel to the annual AAACE meeting at which they are expected to provide annual reports, as well as conduct sessions on how to write for Adult Learning. Such funds can also be utilized for the reimbursement of staff time, travel and materials used in the normal conduct of Journal business that is considered standard and appropriate.
Proposals will be reviewed and decision made in the following order: a) Publications Committee will screen all proposals and make a recommendation to the AAACE Publication Committee. and b) The following groups will ratify this decision in the following orders:
1. AAACE Publications Committee
2. AAACE Executive Committee
3. AAACE Board of Directors - final approval.
The Association requests that those who intend to apply submit a letter of intent by April 15, 2019 electronically by e-mail to email@example.com . Receipt of such intent will be considered non-binding for prospective applicants as well as for the AAACE. Receipt of intent letters by the designated date will enable the Adult Learning Committee to anticipate responses forthcoming in January. Proposals should be received no later than July 15, 2019.
The editor(s) will be selected after approval by the AAACE Committees and Board of Directors by August 15, 2019. The appointment provides for a transition period beginning in September 15, 2019, when the new editors will be expected to begin collaboration with the current editors. The new editors will assume full responsibilities for the journal by January 1, 2020.
February 10, 2019 – Release of Official Call for proposals
April 15, 2019 - Submit a letter of intent to submit a proposal
July 15, 2019 - Full proposal due to the Publications Committee
August 15, 2019 - Final Decision by the AAACE Board
September 15, 2019 - Begin transition acting as Associate Editor
Jan. 1, 2020 - Transfer to new editors
June 1, 2023 - Editorial Term officially ends
Send both letters of intent and proposals to
Amy D. Rose
Chair, AAACE Publications Committee