Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Join or Create a Guest Account
George Spear - November 22, 2018
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

12/11/2018 at 2:37:21 AM GMT
George Spear - November 22, 2018
Shared by Cheryl Polson, Kansas State University

Although I had hoped to never have to share this news, the time has come to let you know that my mentor and very good friend, George Spear, died on Thanksgiving morning. He provided mentorship to many graduate students during his years at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and was particularly proud of his work with military learners during his years at Kansas State University. His areas of scholarly contributions to the field are many but include the concept of the organizing circumstance and self-directed learning and his earlier work to highlight the critical need for adult education programs in depressed urban communities, where education education had not previously been a priority.

George never lost his love of the adult education field nor his sense of humor. During my last visit we spoke about current trends in adult education, panels held at earlier CPAE meetings and the article he still wanted to author. Despite his being 93, George was almost as sharp as he was when I first met him many years ago! His blindness prevented him from being as engaged in the field as might have been but his heart was always with the field.

May comfort be with George’s family and his soul mate, Barbara.

Cheryl

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/grandview-mo/george-spear-8065635

Last edited Monday, December 10, 2018
Please click here for AAACE's Statement on Copyright