CPAE Commission - Business Meeting Update
Monday, December 18, 2017
We (the CPAE Executive Committee) just wants to thank everyone who contributed to a great Co-Conference and share with you the Priorities for Action results from the final vote by members who were present at the meeting.
First, a big thank you to our Opening Session Keynote Speakers, Aliki Nicolaides (University of Georgia) and Victoria Marsick (Teachers College, Columbia University) who spoke on “Finding Opportunity in Complexity and Change: Adult Education Moving Forward”! And another thank you to our Keynote Panel members, Monica Fedeli (University of Padua), Lee Nabb (Morehead State University), and Steven Schmidt (East Carolina University), who shared what they have been doing in their programs, universities, regions, and countries! If you were not able to be present, EC member, Haijun Kang, has posted videos of Opening Session on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CPAE.EC/ We will be posting addition photos of the Co-Conference, as well. A huge thank you to Peter Neaman, who videotaped and photographed these events!!
A few important events took place at our Business Meeting.
Priorities for Action: ThinkTank: Simone Conceição, Geleana Alston, and Haijun Kang facilitated this session. With the goal to enrichen our annual Co-Conference in line with the needs of our members, each table came up with a single a single activity they would like to see in our Co-Conference Program. Each member present voted for their top three priorities. What follows are the list of “activities” prioritized according to the number of votes they received:
- Repeal and replace SIGS. Do a needs assessment, create professional development workshops, and documents to develop skill sets and knowledge bases to improve dialog with colleagues by using our member expertise. Start focusing on professional development (research methodology, online teaching, grants, etc.). (27 votes)
- Dialogues about mentoring, professional development, early/mid/late career; how to stay connected. Mentorship between senior and junior faculty/tenure table talks. (26 votes)
- Live Tweeting. Live stream video from conference do that those who can’t attend can be “present” (Facebook Live for example). (25 votes)
- Look at the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning document, Belém Framework for Action; the CPAE membership reviews it to see how we can contribute and collaborate. (15 votes)
- Get to know each other as authentic people across our groups/activities that take us outside our professional roles and take us into actually connecting. Sharing “How I became an adult educator” (14 votes)
- Practice the politics of inclusion and representation. People are segregated by the institution, professor, etc. with whom they studied. Create senior/junior faculty mentorships, tenure table-talks, etc. for faculty development (a specific type of professional development) (10 votes)
- Open space discussions for challenges and needs. (9 votes)
- Run international conference with CPAE. (7 votes)
The Executive Committee will begin working on how to implement as many of these as we can over the next year.
Elections: Four of our EC Members’ terms were up: Kevin Roessger and Kalpana Gupta (Members At Large), Leann Kaiser (Secretary Treasurer), and Larry Martin(Past Chair – who is now President Elect of AAACE!). Thanks to all for their service!
We elected Lisa Merriweather and Leann Kaiser as our new Members At Large (Leann was re-elected to continue on the EC) and Kalpana Gupta as our new Secretary Treasurer (also re-elected to remain on the EC). We elected Steven Schmidt as President-Elect (Ann Brooks term ends in 2018). Congratulations and welcome to our new EC members!
Revision of Bylaws Task Force Results and Vote to Approve: Jill Zaretsky led a task force to revise our CPAE Bylaws. The members voted to approve the revisions. A copy of the new document will be posted on our CPAE – AAACE webpage.
Thank you all for a very productive conference!
Ann Brooks – Texas State University: Chair
Kalpana Gupta – Colorado State University: Secretary/Treasurer
Petra Robinson – Louisiana State University: Member at Large
Leann Kaiser – Colorado State University: Member at Large
Lisa Merriweather – University of North Carolina – Charlotte: Member at Large
Steven Schmidt – East Carolina State University: Chair Elect