POSITION PAPER PROCEDURES | APPROVED POSITION PAPERS
AAACE Public Affairs Committee
Public Affairs Committee is an important means by which AAACE members
can bring their collective expertise to bear on issues of social
importance and inform public debate by speaking to issues of social and
Statement of the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education
The American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organization as described in Section 501 (c)(3). AAACE is an association of academics and professionals in the field of life long learning. As stated
in our mission, the association is dedicated to the belief that our field should enhance human fulfillment and positive social change.
We therefore strongly supprt relevant public policy, legislation, and social change initiatives which expand the depth and breadth of opportunities for the education of adults. We also support the ongoing growth and expansion of leadership
roles in the field.
In addition to this general support, we may advocate for specific policies, programs, legislation, and initiatives which we believe are of critical importance to life long learning.
Procedures for Submitting Position Papers
- Position Papers shall be submitted to the Chair of the Public Affairs Committee, Ellen Scully-Russ at email@example.com.
- The Chair shall immediately upon receipt verify the membership status of initiators or endorsers and ensure compliance with Position Statement requirements noted above.
- The Chair shall circulate Position Papers to the full Public Affairs Committee, the President of AAACE, and the Managing Director of AAACE. Committee authority with respect to Position Papers shall be:
- Approve the Position Statement, as written.
- Revert the Position Statement back to the originating parties, with suggestion for revision.
- Submit to Commissions for feedback.
- Reject the Position Statement on one of the following grounds:
- Contents of the Position Statement being outside the scope of AAACE’s mission or exempt purpose.
- Contents of the Position Statement being incompatible with AAACE Bylaws, Standing Rules, or strategic direction.
- Contents of the Position Statement constituting political activity, including commentary on any candidate for public office, as such organizational commentary can jeopardize AAACE’s tax exempt status.
4. Upon approval of Position Papers by the Public Affairs Committee, the names of initiators will be removed from the Position Statement and anonymity of initiators maintained.
5. Position Papers approved by the Public Affairs Committee will be submitted to the Board of Directors for approval.
Download Position Paper Guidelines Here
Position Papers approved by the AAACE Executive Board:
June 2020: U.S. Reparations for black American Descendants of Slavery (ADOS)
May 2020: National Legislation for a New Age of Lifetime Learning: Tax Deferred Lifelong Learning and Training Accounts
March 2020: Families First Coronavirus Response Act
Position Statements may be disseminated without permission from AAACE.